James “Jim” Jolly, Sgt, USMC
Marine Corp Sgt – Chosin Few Survivor, James “Jim” Jolly, 89, died on September 5, 2020. Jim was a resident of MacArthur Hall, Wisconsin Veterans Home – King. Due to the restrictions of COVID 19 at the time of his passing, a final salute with full military honors is planned for Friday, May 28th, 2021 set to coincide with Memorial Day weekend.
Jim was born on April 22, 1931 in Goreville, Illinois and was preceded in death by the love of his life, Gloria in November 2010. After the death of his wife, Jim became a member of the King Veterans Home on December 15, 2010 and remained a member of King until his passing.
Jim was a respected member of the King Veterans Home. Once a Marine… Always a Marine - Jim was active in several work therapy programs while at King to include (but not limited to) King Honor Guard, Code Red White and Blue / Code Amazing Grace Final Salute program, several commercials and marketing programs, new employee & volunteer orientation to help employees and volunteers understand obstacles veterans (especially combat veterans) face, veteran centric programming, veteran outreach programs across the state, flag folding ceremonies, etc.
Jim served in the United States Marine Corp from June, 1948 until honorably discharged in June, 1952. Jim was a Korean War Veteran who served with the 2nd Marine Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division.
While in Korea, Jim served as a frontline machine gunner, squad leader in 5 major battles – the most notable was the battle of the Chosin Reservoir. Jim served 12 months in Korea under Col. Chesty Puller, the most decorated Marine in history. See the John Maino interview with Jim about the Chosin here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07EiHXWfrg
Jim’s military decorations include: Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Korean Service Medal w/1 Sliver Star, Presidential Unit Citation W/2 Bronze Stars, Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Republic of Korea War Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, United National Defense Service Medal, Rifle Expert Badge.
Final Salute Details:
• Friday, May 28, 2021
• Noon to 1:30 pm: Memorial Service to honor and memorialize Jim at Maple Crest Funeral Home located at N2620 HWY 22 Waupaca, WI. All are welcome to share memories of Jim and render a final salute.
• 1:45 pm to 2:00 pm: The Patriot Guard will assemble and lead a procession to Jim’s final resting place at the Cremation Burial Garden located at the Central Wisconsin Veteran Memorial Cemetery N2665 County Road QQ, Waupaca.
• 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm: Graveside full Military Honors will be rendered.
In appreciation of Jim’s service and sacrifice for our Nation, an Honor Stone will be dedicated at The Highground Veterans Park in Neilsville, WI. The placement dedication will be:
• Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:00 a.m.
• This is a public event that is open to all who wish to attend: https://www.thehighground.us/events/korean-stone-ceremony-6-12-11am/
• A Memorial Tile was purchased at the Korean War Memorial in Plover, WI in honor of Jim. This memorial service will take place in June of 2022.
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of James "Jim" Jolly, please visit our floral store.